Caravan insurance Guide
Did you know there are 2,620 holiday parks in Australia? So go on then – carry on camping!
There aren't many things better than the open road ahead of you with all your home comforts along for the ride. And these days not much is left at home with travellers taking all their mod cons with them!
Think about all the gadgets you have in your caravan – dvd player, ipad, speakers, kettle, stove, even a microwave perhaps. The list is endless… could you afford to replace them all if they were stolen or damaged in a fire?
Caravan insurance provides you with peace of mind and will cover you against theft, accidental loss or damage to your caravan, annexe and its contents.
It’s important to make sure you are covered for a variety of eventualities when it comes to choosing a caravan insurance policy.
You can use our comparison to compare caravan insurers scores and get the low down from real customers by reading our caravan insurance reviews.
Each insurance policy will vary but these are the typical caravan insurance benefits to look out for.
- Storm, hail and flood
- Accidental and malicious damage
- Theft to your caravan and annexe
- Fire and explosion
- Electrical motor burnout
- New vehicle replacement cover
- Reasonable towing costs for removing your caravan after an accident
- Cover for contents while inside a rigid lockable annex
- Emergency and alternative accommodation expenses
- Wear & tear
- Use of a caravan or motorhome as a permanent residency
- Inadequate security measures
- Vermin damage to trailer tents
Types of Caravan Insurance:
Caravan insurance is split into 3 main categories: Touring caravan, static caravan and trailer tent/folding camper.
Touring caravan insurance
Touring caravan insurance covers you when you’re towing a caravan behind your vehicle. Each insurer has different benefits but generally this type of insurance will cover you for contents, new for old replacement, third party and public liability.
Static caravan insurance
Static caravan insurance covers you if your caravan stays situated in one place such as a holiday home or caravan park, but not a site where you live permanently. Similarly to touring caravan insurance you will be covered for contents, new for old replacement, third party and public liability.
Trailer tent insurance
If you have an additional tent section to your campervan or caravan this is the insurance you need. This will provide the same cover as above but will often not cover for mildew damage or theft from the tent because of the lack of security.
Motorhome insurance will cover you similarly to a touring caravan policy. And is separated into 3rd party, 3rd party fire and theft, and fully comprehensive.
- 3rd party pays if you damage a 3rd party’s vehicle but not damage to yours.
- 3rd party fire and theft is the same as 3rd party but also covers your motorhome if stolen or damaged by fire.
- Fully comprehensive offers the most thorough form of cover including damage to third parties, fire and theft plus any damage to your motorhome.
Lower your premiums by improving security
Having good security measures can really help to lower your caravan insurance premiums. Here are some ideas to help you improve your security:
- Get locking devices such as wheel clamps, corner steady locks or hitch locks which can cover your tow bar to stop thieves hitching your caravan to their vehicle.
- Fit alarms and immobilisers.
- Add a tracker or a tag to your caravan so you know where it is if it's stolen.
- Hide any valuables so they cannot be seen from the outside.
- Take pictures of both the inside and outside of your caravan so that if your caravan or contents are stolen you have photographic evidence to show the police and insurance company.
Why do you need caravan insurance?
As with car insurance, if you don’t have the appropriate caravan insurance and you have an accident, you will be liable to pay for the damage and repair to both your caravan and the other vehicles involved.
You wouldn’t drive a car without insurance…so don’t do it with your beloved home away from home. Caravan insurance will provide you with peace of mind, so you can relax and enjoy your road trip.
Was this guide helpful? If you need any more help feel free to drop us a line and one of our friendly team will get back to you.