We've got heaps of guides to help you find the right car insurance

CTP Car Insurance 101

CTP car insurance

Compulsory third party insurance (CTP) or greenslip as it’s named in NSW is compulsory car insurance in Australia.

Your vehicle cannot be registered or legally driven on the roads without it - and you’ll need it to register your car every year.

In most states it’s included in your car’s registration fees, but if you’re in QLD or NSW you get to choose your own.

What does it cover?

For the insured driver, CTP covers for legal liability and personal injuries or death in the event of an accident.

It doesn’t insure you for any damage caused to your car, or anyone else’s car or property.

Knowing this, you’ll need to weigh up whether CTP is enough insurance for your vehicle. Perhaps a good question to ask yourself is 'could you afford to replace your car if it was badly damaged in an accident'? If you want more cover then perhaps a comprehensive policy is what you’ll need. If you want to see how much a comprehensive policy might cost, use our quote engine to compare quotes now.

When does CTP not cover?

Like any types of insurance there are exclusions to be aware of. Your compulsory third party car insurance wouldn’t cover you if:

  • The accident happened because you were under the influence of alcohol or drugs
  • Your vehicle was being driven by someone not insured to do so
  • Your car was not roadworthy
  • The accident happened because you were racing your car irresponsibly
  • Your car was being used for criminal purposes
  • Your car was carrying explosives
  • Your car was not registered
  • You claimed too late
  • The accident wasn’t reported to the police
  • You did not disclose accurate information to your insurer
  • The accident was intentionally caused

Learn more about what car insurance doesn’t cover.

What is third party, fire & theft insurance?

Third party, fire & theft insurance provides cover if your car is stolen or damaged as a result of fire, and it covers you for damages caused by your car to other people’s property. Although third party, fire & theft will not cover your car in the event of an accident. This type of policy is not so common in NSW and ACT.

Where can I buy CTP?

We don’t compare CTP on our website, so here’s some handy links for you which vary depending on where you live in Australia.

Queensland - For CTP in QLD visit the Motor Accident Insurance Commission (MAIC) and use their CTP Premium Calculator.

NSW - Known as Greenslip in New South Wales, you can visit greenslips.com.au or Motor Accidents Authority (MAA) of New South Wales prices.maa.nsw.gov.au

Go to apps.treasury.act.gov.au/compulsorytpi

VIC - CTP in Victoria is included when you pay for your car registration. Part of the payment goes to the Transport Accident Commission. This charge currently appears on your VicRoads renewal notice as 'TAC Premium' or 'TAC Charge'. 

Tasmania - Similarly in Tassy, your CTP is automatically taken out of your car registration. Visit the Motor Accidents Insurance Board (MAIB) maib.tas.gov.au

South Australia - In South Australia payment is also an automatic process when you register your car. It’s issued through the Motor Accident Commission (MAC) mac.sa.gov.au

WA - In Western Australia it's taken out of your car registration fee when you renew each year - go to Insurance Commission of Western Australia icwa.wa.gov.au

Northern Territory - Visit the Territory Insurance Office (TIO) transport.nt.gov.au/mvr/registration